I'm sensitive

I saw this on T.V. last week...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22825996/

I can't get it out of my head. I have heard about the atrocities of the holocaust, read books, graphic novels, heard lectures, seen documentaries, etc... But this got to me. They shared the story of Dina Beitler. When she was five years old, she was forced into a mass grave and buried alive. She managed to claw her way out and survive that horror.

I just don't understand how anyone could do such a thing, to anyone... let alone a child. The excuse? they were following orders. They say they had no option. If everyone just blindly followed orders and didn't question anything we would still be part of Europe, or possibly still in Europe... without the wheel. Following orders is not a valid excuse.

We are at least acknowledging our history - sorta. We don't discuss the recent genocides of Bosnia, Rwanda, Darfur... We have learned from our history so well. It is still happening today. All because someone is following orders.

It all just gets to me, breaks my heart. I don't get it. I can't comprehend how cruel people can be. The thought of that tiny girl, so frightened and alone, in the dark, trying to pull herself up out of the earth still haunts me.

I always have been sensitive.

learn more at: http://www.yadvashem.org/

1 comment:

o-mom said...

you have always been sensitive. Try not to get bogged down in the bad stuff, it's always out there and it's a trap.